Sunday, September 25, 2005

Ride for the Cure

Once again, I am out on a weekend adventure, this time for a good cause. But like all good adventures, it wasn't all sunshine and roses; it has to have some hardship to qualify as adventure! So my adventure was group motor bike ride around the Cabot Trail. It is a fund raiser for breast cancer research, so naturally, it is call Ride for the Cure. I unfortunately didn't do any fundraising, but a good deal of donating. This is only the 2nd year for the event, but it's popularity has already spread. This year there were 340 bikers on the ride! It was hilarious. We all met at 8am in town, and the number of bikes in the parking lot was astounding. Then off we headed to go along the trail. There were a number of scheduled stops, and they had a poker hand game, where at each stop, you picked a card out of a hat, and whoever had the best poker hand at the end of the day won a prize (which ended up being a kids dirt bike; if I'd known that, I wouldn't have picked such crappy cards!). The hardship came in two forms. First of all... the weather. Dun, dun DAAA!!!! It was actually not too bad out, but the nip in the air turned into almost frostbite conditions on the bike. Scattered showers and gusting winds also kept the driving interesting. The other form of hardship was fortunately not my own. There were a few accidents, one minor (broken collar bone), but one fairly major, with a totalled bike as well as two totalled legs. Not sure of the outcome yet, but hopefully he'll keep them both. Nothing good comes of driving too fast.

But on to happier pastures. I believe I mentioned my leathers. Well, check them out!! Aren't they awesome? I tell you, I sure didn't feel out of place on the ride; there must have been a whole stampede of cows slaughtered for the black leather on the Trail this weekend! What a blast. I was part of a biker gang! Best part is that I found a few people I knew so I didn't have to be alone in the crowd; I actually had people to ride with! AND, I won a shirt! A nice long sleeve zip neck navy shirt. I could have used it early that day, but hey, I'll take what I can get, when I can get it.


Comments:
Love the duds Jen, my my all those poor black cows slaughtered for the Ride for the Cure. It should be Ride for Hide next year, your Dad says.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?